merge 70 documents (9 pages each) into one document

Home Forums PDF24 Creator General merge 70 documents (9 pages each) into one document

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    ivvlw
    Participant

Task: merge 70 documents (9 pages each) into one document. The process is three hours... Question: is this the way it should be? Is something going wrong? Are there any restrictions on the amount of data processed?

ivvlw
    Participant

it took another three hours-the process is still not completed...

Stefan Ziegler
    Keymaster

There is normally not a restriction.

What documents do you merge? All PDF's? Merging PDF's should normally run quickly, at least for most PDF's.

Merging is done via Ghostscript. You can open a console via F12 and there you can see a little more information about the process.

If you do not merge PDFs, then it can take longer, because each file must be converted to PDF first.

ivvlw
    Participant

at first tried to merge Word documents. then tried to merge previously converted to pdf. the result is the same. the same type of documents-4 pages of text 5 pages of pictures. the size of a single word file is 12MB - pdf 18Mb... process is still not completed...

ivvlw
    Participant

The process ended after about 36 hours. But when you open the file- " an error Occurred while opening the file. The file is damaged and cannot be repaired."

Stefan Ziegler
    Keymaster

How large is the file? You could also test with two or three files to see what happens. You could also try to reproduce the PDF's by printing them on the PDF printer. This often fixes small errors in PDF files.

ivvlw
    Participant

the resulting file is too small-7Mb. 10 files merge normally...

ivvlw
    Participant

now re-launched the process of merging 11 pdf files. Watching the console on the sheets with the images (full population list) plugging for 3 minutes. At each stage....

dougp01
    Participant

I know this is an old thread and I experienced the same issue today.

I am converting 900 JPG images by first converting to PDF, then OCR in groups of 30 to 60 pages each and then combine the remaining files into a single PDF. All together I have 11 intermediate OCR files comprising about 245 MB. I was consistently getting a single blank page in the result. I finally tried using the merge tool in Creator and instead of saving, I printed the result.  So far so good, it seems to be working well, with 10% complete, I estimate 45 minuted for the entire job.

I am very impressed. My computer is a Windows 10 platform with a 4-core microprocessor and your program has successfully reached 100% CPU utilization for extended periods of time.

What I don't understand is why merging PDF + PDF takes such a very long time. I'll follow up if I have any more trouble.

Thanks!  Doug

dougp01
    Participant

Update,

After the expected 45 minutes, I returned to find the program frozen. I left it along for another 3 hours, just to be sure. This was in the step after merging called 'printing" and I selected the PDF24 driver. However, I learned this printing step does not create a file on disk but instead a new PDF within the program.  Since it never completed, I was forced to terminate.

This morning, tried again on smaller files and learned I need to do several steps.

1) Merge files in order, 2) select all pages within that new file, 3) print, 4) save.

However, I tried this again on the large files and came up empty again. A single blank page with file size of 3 KB. Something I don't understand is the save & print functions on the individual documents vs the save & print functions on the main menu.

Best, Doug

Still experimenting to find a consistent method to do what I want.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.