Windows background process locks folder

Home Forums PDF24 Creator General Windows background process locks folder

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    browser
    Participant

Hi all,

We have been using PDF24 for many years. However, we are having some problems now. This is the scenario:

1. Put two PDFs in the same folder, for example, in a folder called "test".
    2. Select both PDFs, right click and select PDF24.
    3. Join both PDFs and place the result in any folder.
    4. Try to rename the original test folder and you will get a Windows message saying the folder is being used by another process.

The only solution to delete or rename the folder where the PDFs were is to kill the PDF24 process manually.

Is anyone having this problem as well? We have tested it on more than 10 PCs and all of them are getting the same issue.

Many thanks.

Stefan Ziegler
    Keymaster

I was just trying to figure it out. But I didn't succeed. Can you tell me which PDF24 process is blocking the files?

browser
    Participant

Screenshot: https://postimg.cc/qN2yYXDh

Once we have done the operation and closed the application, the process seems to continue open on the background, as you can see in the above screenshot.

If we kill the selected process, we'll be able to rename or delete the folder.

Stefan Ziegler
    Keymaster

I'm wondering why the background process is getting the files since the files are PDFs and don't need to be converted. Hmm. Is there a reason why do you use an older PDF24 version and not the current one?

browser
    Participant

Hi Stefan,

We have tried different versions. My PC has that one but even with the latest one (v11.6.0)  is happening.  This happens even splitting a PDF.

I am running Windows 10 (10.0.19043).

Thanks.

Stefan Ziegler
    Keymaster

I'm still trying to reproduce this.

1. I have a test folder and I copy/paste two PDFs into that folder.
    2. Then I select both PDFs in that folder, right-click one file and click PDF24 to open the file tools.
    3. Then I click the Join function and in the output profile selection window I choose the just assemble profile to simply join both files.
    4. Then I save the new PDF into another folder.
    5. After that, I rename the test folder and that works for me. No error message pops up and the folder is renamed.

Do you do something different?

browser
    Participant

Yes, exactly that. I will test again tomorrow and will let you know if I can see any error in the Windows Event Logs. Are you using Windows 10?

Stefan Ziegler
    Keymaster

Yes, we use Windows 10 and we also test under Windows 11.

browser
    Participant

Morning,

I can't see anything in the Windows Event Logs. However, I have installed PS Explorer and searched the PDF24.exe process. See the files in usage, maybe you can find out something. One of the files that are used by the process is the test folder.

Screenshot:  https://postimg.cc/LgP0pP51

Thanks

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.