Create several printers with overlays and print to physical printer

Home Forums PDF24 Creator General Create several printers with overlays and print to physical printer

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    tecmafra
    Participant

Hi!

I have created several virtual printers. Each one overlays a different pdf file to the printing pdf and saves it. After that, I have a code (provided by pd24 support) that prints the resulting pdf to a phisycal printer.

The pdf file is created properly, but it's not printing on paper. The printer is connected throught ethernet. Script is:

pdf24-docTool.exe -shellPrint -printerName "PRINTER_NAME" "$FILE"

Stefan Ziegler
    Keymaster

Do you have an application installed, that can print PDF files? The shellPrint command uses ShellExecute from Windows with the print operation. In order to get this to work, there needs to be an application installed that can print the file and that registers correctly in Windows. If you have e.g. the Adobe Reader installed, than the shellPrint command should work.

tecmafra
    Participant

Yes, I have adobe reader X, and sumatra pdf.

Stefan Ziegler
    Keymaster

Seems that you have used a dash at -printerName and not a hyphen. I've corrected your command in your question. Please test this one.

tecmafra
    Participant

Ok, I tested it but no luck. This is the script with the printer name

pdf24-docTool.exe -shellPrint -printerName "RICOH_MP_C2004" "$FILE"

Stefan Ziegler
    Keymaster

Hmm weird. Do you see any kind of error or are the printout in the Windows printer queue and can not be processed or send to the printer?

tecmafra
    Participant

It's just like it's sending nothing to the printer.

The virtual printer shows a qeued document until is't saved in pdf, but the real printer never shows a document to print, so I'm assuming it's not sending it to the printer

Stefan Ziegler
    Keymaster

Please try to execute the command manually on the command line in a shell. Does this work?

tecmafra
    Participant

I tried and as is the code does not work.

I had to go to execute the code from the program files folder, and then change the $FILE with the real location and name of the file. This worked.

EDIT:

I also tried this:

"c:\Program Files (x86)\PDF24\pdf24-docTool.exe" -shellPrint -printerName "RICOH Aficio MP C3001" "Real file name & location"

And also worked.

But this code:

"c:\Program Files (x86)\PDF24\pdf24-docTool.exe" -shellPrint -printerName "RICOH Aficio MP C3001" "$FILE" didn't work.

Stefan Ziegler
    Keymaster

ah, file must be lowercase. You have to use "${file}" or "$file"

tecmafra
    Participant

Hurra! We have a winner right here! At last :D. There are a pair of things that we need, but I will open a new thread so everything is on place. Thank you for your help on this topic!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.