the pdf24-installation doesn't finish on my XP

Home Forums PDF24 Creator Installation the pdf24-installation doesn't finish on my XP

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    ehg
    Participant

This topic looks similarly like that of "cdvk" from 24 Jul 2007 (http://www.pdf24.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=214)
    - where there is no answer for his XP-Installation-problem too:

So I myself had tryed today to install pdf24 (using a just downloaded pdf24.exe)
    Altough the setup starts the installation it stops soon in the status "finishing the installation" whithout any response πŸ‘Ώ after minutes. The only possibility in this state is to force down the setup by Ctrl+Alt+Del-Buttons

What wrong at the moment whith the pdf24.exe ❓ ❓ ❓
    ehg

pdf24

Hello,

i'm currently don't know whats going wrong. We have tested the setup many time and had no problems. Maybe you have a special windows setting so the installation can't finnish.

If you have a solution for this problem, please write this in this forum.

Thanks

ehg
    Participant

Hello,

i'm currently don't know whats going wrong. We have tested the setup many time and had no problems. Maybe you have a special windows setting so the installation can't finnish.

If you have a solution for this problem, please write this in this forum.

Thanks

Your answer isn't very helpful. Even if a other user had posted the same Problem before (24 Jul 2007) in this group of the forum.

I just reloaded the pdf24.exe to restart the setup. But the same bad results happens: Setup doesn't finish after 10 minutes.
    But after forcing down the setup there is really (looking at "printer and fax") a "pdf24" printer installed (but obviously very badly) .

A problem results on this badly-installed "pdf24": it isn't usable.
    So if you use it (p.e. by Ctrl+P ) in a program for printing a document you get the failuremessage "Dokument konnte nicht gedruckt werden" (document couldn't be printed) .
    But anyhow: doubleklicking this badly printer, the document is there in printers stack to be printed. But there is no acces more to the document with is still "printing" (for ever it seems ❗ )
    An other hint may be helpful: this badly printer-installed is according its device-properties from the type "Apple Color LaserWriter 12/600" ❓ .
    This looks a little bit strange - doesn't it?
    I ask you to post in the group if there is a solution for the descripted problem of not finishing-installation.
    ehg

pdf24

Hello,

you sag that there is an installed printer in windows named pdf24. If so the printer seems installed correctly. The Message "document couldn't be printed" occures if the backend program of pdf24-creator does not running. The backend program called pdfBackend must running to create pdf. You can look in you task manager to make sure that this program is running. If the programm is not running than you can start the programm manually.

If the programm is running, you can test a print. If this works, allmost everything seems ok. I thing that the setup could not complete the last steps or the setup program hangs up.

Normally the pdf24-Setup creates an autostart entry in registry to start the programm at any system start. If the program does not start at system start, you have to create an autostart entry for the pdfbackend process.

Let me know if something works.

ehg
    Participant

Hello,

you sag that there is an installed printer in windows named pdf24. If so the printer seems installed correctly. The Message "document couldn't be printed" occures if the backend program of pdf24-creator does not running. The backend program called pdfBackend must running to create pdf. You can look in you task manager to make sure that this program is running. If the programm is not running than you can start the programm manually.

If the programm is running, you can test a print. If this works, allmost everything seems ok. I thing that the setup could not complete the last steps or the setup program hangs up.

Normally the pdf24-Setup creates an autostart entry in registry to start the programm at any system start. If the program does not start at system start, you have to create an autostart entry for the pdfbackend process.

Let me know if something works.

According your recommendations I did as follows:
    -deinstallation of the "may-be-or-not-badly"-pdf24-printer
    -restating the system
    -(after that: in the folder c:/programs/pdf24 still remains a single program "PrinterInstall.exe" ❗ ❗ ❓ ❓ )
    -reinstallation of pdf24 by doubleclicking the downloaded pdf24.exe
    -the setup-program processes a little as it should do. But in the finishing state it hangs up again just before its finishing as it did before too
    -so I had to force down the setup again
    -than I restarted the system again
    -searching "pdfbackend" by windows-explorer on the system: there where no such program (neither on c:/programs/pdf24 nor elsewhere)
    -than I tryed to print a document by Cnrtl+P selecting the "may-be-or-not-badly"-pdf24-printer
    -getting again the message "Dokument konnte nicht gedruckt werden" as descripted before.
    -Looking at the taskmanager: there is no "pdfbackend" (neither in applications nor in processes)
    -but there is always a process "PrinterInstall.exe" running of the same name as the program in the folder c:/programs/pdf24
    (may be important ❗ ❗ ❓ ❓ )

Now two questions:
    1.how to create an autostart entry for the pdfbackend process (as you recommended it) if there is no "pdfbackend"-program somewhere in the system after doubleclicking the downloaded pdf24.exe
    2. should I stop the process "PrinterInstall.exe" ??

Do you have more or other recommendations?
    ehg

pdf24

OK, it seems that that printer could not be installed correctly. The printerInstall.exe should be automatically deleted after the printer installation. The printerInstall.exe installs only the pdf24-printer. If the pdf24-printer appears in windows, the printer driver should be installed correctly but if the printerInstall.exe is still running the programm could not finish the last steps.

The printerInstall.exe process can be killed.

The important programm is the PDFBackend.exe. (previously named PDF24Updater.exe).

This files should be installed in the c:/programs/pdf24 folder. You wrote that there is no such file. hmm OK.. i can send you this file.. but if this file could not be installed it is probable that other files could not be installed too.

Did you have installed the latest version from pdf24.org? If not, please download the latest version and try to install again.

To create an autostart entry, the PDFBackend.exe must exist.

ehg
    Participant

OK, it seems that that printer could not be installed correctly. The printerInstall.exe should be automatically deleted after the printer installation. The printerInstall.exe installs only the pdf24-printer. If the pdf24-printer appears in windows, the printer driver should be installed correctly but if the printerInstall.exe is still running the programm could not finish the last steps.

The printerInstall.exe process can be killed.

The important programm is the PDFBackend.exe. (previously named PDF24Updater.exe).

This files should be installed in the c:/programs/pdf24 folder. You wrote that there is no such file. hmm OK.. i can send you this file.. but if this file could not be installed it is probable that other files could not be installed too.

Did you have installed the latest version from pdf24.org? If not, please download the latest version and try to install again.

To create an autostart entry, the PDFBackend.exe must exist.

To the pdf24-admin of the forum:
    According to the topic231 of the PDF24-forum http://www.pdf24.org/forum/about231.html I confirm

1. the downloaded pdf24.exe is downloaded on 11. Oct 7:31 pm

2. after all the troubling happened before I β€˜d just killed the process PrinterInstall.exe-process, deinstallated again the pdf24-printer (using windows system software features for it and additionally deleated the pdf24 printer in the printer/fax-folder and the pdf24 folder), restarted the system again and than tryed to reinstall again the pdf24-printer by doubleclicking the pdf24.exe (downloaded on 11 Oct 2007)

all the same happens again:

-never ending the finishing-part of the setup – pdf24 (β€œInstallation wird beendet” [ installation is finishing])

-It is only to force down by Ctrl+Alt+Del

-pdf24 printer exist after that in the printer/fax-folder but is inusable in descripted manner.

The task-manager shows a new process PrinterInstall.exe in the list of processes.

I show you following the screenshot of the pdf24-folder whichis created by doubleclicking the pdf24.exe.

There is a gs.exe and it looks like a comprimated file (like a zip-file)

Scanning it by Norton it is to see that inside gs.exe there are 625 items.

Maybe all the problems happens due to this gs.exe is not expanded/extracted anyhow. Maybe even the PDFBackend.exe is inside this gs.exe too???

But I sended a direct-Mail of the same subject to forum@pdf24.org containig this screenshot>

So what do you recommend now???

ehg

zak
    Participant

hello,

i got the same problem like ehg, the installation wont get over the step "finishing installation".

when i force down the printerInstall.exe it'll go on and remove this file and the gs.exe from the destination directory ... but there is no pdfbackend.exe

so, would you mind to send me this file or offer it as download?

this would be great and i hope it'll solve my problem πŸ™‚

ehg
    Participant

hello,

i got the same problem like ehg, the installation wont get over the step "finishing installation".

when i force down the printerInstall.exe it'll go on and remove this file and the gs.exe from the destination directory ... but there is no pdfbackend.exe

so, would you mind to send me this file or offer it as download?

this would be great and i hope it'll solve my problem πŸ™‚

From Stefan, one of the admins of this forum, I got the following recommandation, that works:
    I just did it according his recommendations:
    After deleting all the badly parts of the pdf24-installation I started again the installation of pdf24 by doublecliking pdf24.exe;
    as is was expected the installation-execution didn't stop;
    so I killed the process PrinterInstall.exe when the printer itself was available;
    after that I started the PDF24Updater.exe. Both may be found in the pdf24 folder on C:/Program.

After that I could print documents via pdf24 corectly.

But there is still an other problem with the pdf24 on PC running on a multiuser-XP:
    The printer exists in fact for all the users of the XP but it is only usable for the admin-user correctly. For all the other users it isn't usable (like it happens when I started all the problemdescriptions on the pdf24-forum and before I fullfilled the recommendations of Stefan).
    Asking Stefan about it, he told me this (last descripted) problem is known to the stuff but not yet solved.

zak
    Participant

THANKS a lot buddy! It's workin now ... and if someone gets the same trouble he'll find your answer to solve the problem properly πŸ™‚

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.