"Designed for Microsoft Windows XP" Error on Insta

Home Forums PDF24 Creator Installation "Designed for Microsoft Windows XP" Error on Insta

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    shoe123

Hello! I love this pdf printer. Unfortunately on my work computer, big brother has imposed some strict new guidelines that have locked down the Group Policy quite a bit.

I can log in as an administrator for one hour at a time to install software (such as PDF24). The PDF24 Creator installs ok, but when it gets to the part where it tries to set up a printer, I get an error that says I'm not allowed to install a driver that is not digitally signed by Microsoft. It apparently has to have the "Designed for Microsoft Windows XP" logo.

"Microsoft strongly recommends you only use device drivers with the Designed for Microsoft Windows XP logo. Installing device drivers that have not been digitally-signed by Microsoft may disable the system, allow viruses onto your computer, or otherwise impair the correct operation of your computer either immediately or in the future. "

Is this something of which you were already aware? Is there anything I can do?

Thanks!!

shoe123

I found this Policy in "Local Security Settings" (I'm using Windows XP SP3, by the way):

Devices: Unsigned driver installation behavior
    Current Security Setting: Do not allow installation

This security setting determines what happens when an attempt is made to install a device driver (by means of Setup API) that has not been tested by the Windows Hardware Quality Lab (WHQL).

The options are:
    Silently succeed
    Warn but allow installation
    Do not allow installation

Default: Warn but allow installation.

I imagine this will become more of a problem as more companies lock down on their computers to prevent viruses, etc.

pdf24

Hi,

we had decided to replace the old PDF printer driver with a new one, which is more powerful. The disadvantage of this decision is that users on Windows XP systems has to ignore the Windows Logo message.
    The Logo Message appears because our new pdf driver is not tested and signed by microsoft which cost a lot of money and we don't want to pay for that.
    There is an alternative on Windows XP Systems which was build in in older version of PDF24 Creator, but the old solution is less powerful.
    Maybe we will build a setup which contains the old and the new driver installation variants so thaat the user can choose one option. I'll think about that.

User who use Windows Vista and Windows 7 as operation systems do not have any problems. On this systems the logo test message don't appear. Microsoft has changed some parts of his systems so that our printer driver is out of the core part and does not need a driver test. Currently we use the same driver vor all windows systems.

What you can do is to install the pdf24 creator and skip the printer driver installation part. Then install a postscript printer driver manually. There is a introduction in our pages on pdf24.org. You can find it by using google.

p3p3-85

According to w3counter.com/globalstats.php for September, Windows XP is still used by 46% of the world's PCs.
    I am still uncertain whether your reply covers the question: Is PDF24 Editor 2.8.6 compatible with Windows XP?
    I run XP SP3.
    When I got to the "Hardware Installation" screen, I was not installing hardware, so I went ahead with "Continue Anyway".
    What are the implications please? Will this damage my system?

pdf24

Hi,

this will not demage your system. Our PDF24 Creator install a printer driver which is save. We install this driver in Windows Vista aand WIndows 7 too and there isn't the Microsoft Logo Message.
    The reason is that drivers has to pass Windows Logo test program from Microsoft. The driver need to be signed. This is very expensive (the costs are annually) and currently we don't want to pay for that.

shoe123

@philiptory: pdf24 used to work just find on my Win XP SP3 work computer until my company locked it down to not accept drivers that are not "signed by Microsoft".

It still works fine on my home computer.

Unfortunately, I had to switch to a different pdf printer on my work computer -- I miss the little sheep.

pdf24

We also have a setup which installs an alternative printer driver from local windows driver store. This setup installs the pdf24 creator without displaying the Logo test message. The problem is that this PDF printer driver is not so powerful and has some limitations.

We'll overthink that again!

shoe123

Thanks for your thoughtful responses!

Could you please post a link to the "alternative printer driver" of which you spoke in your last response? The one that is not as powerful, but should work with my Windows XP security settings. I can't find it on your website.

pdf24

I'll build the setup with the latest files again and than post a link to that file.

What you also can do is to skip the printer driver installation process and to install a printer driver manually. Search our forum for an intoduction if you want to do that.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.