PDF24 froze my PC

Home Forums PDF24 Creator General PDF24 froze my PC

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    bw
    Participant

DESCRIPTION

1. I tried to take a PDF file (an old scanned book, 710 pages, 56MB) and print it into a new PDF file, to see if it would load faster on Sumatra PDF (page rendering was taking forever).

2. PDF24 went through all of the very long process only to freeze my PC. By freeze I mean that the machine (mouse, keyboard, screen etc.) was completely irresponsive and emitting a constant sound. The only option was to manually turn it off by pressing the on/off button for 6 seconds. This happened every time I retried the procedure.

3. Later, I noticed that my 'AppData/Local/Temp/PDF24' folder had acquired 187GB of files, with extensions ranging from none to .ps, .jpg, .bmp and .pdf, and most of the file names being seemingly random number sequences. There was even a 152GB BMP file of one of the pages of the book.

QUESTIONS

1. What happened?
    2. How can I achieve what I was attempting? (or why should I not try it?)
    3. Incidentally (for this may not be the appropriate forum), why can't that particular PDF Reader (Sumatra) load files quickly? Other readers did. - And how to correct it?

pdf24

Your PDF files contains images and not text. That is the reason why your PDF files is that big. That is maybe the problem why Sumatra is slow when rendering your PDF files.

When you use the PDF printer, make sure, that you use the PDF printer and the assistant to transform the PDF files. I think that you scanned with a to high resolution. You can reduce that with the PDF printer.

The Creator of the PDF24 application loads your file and produces a preview. The large image file in the PDF24 temp folder could be a preview image and if you printed with an to high resolution, than your images in the PDF files are very big, but above 100 GB is really to big and that could be a sign that something is strange.

What you can try is to produce a PDF files with a low resolution. Open your PDF files and print them on the PDF printer. Make sure, that you use the Assistant and not the creator. Change your settings if you currently use the creator. Print the PDF files. In the print options, click on the General or Advanced button (I don't know the button name in your language). In the advanced printer settings form change the print resolution to a lower resolution. 600 DPI is enabled as default and you could try to print with 150 DPI which is sometimes enough.

That should produce a new PDF files based on your original one and the images in the files should now be of a lower resolution. The assistant do not produce preview images so that you do not spend CPU in this process. In the assistant you can save your printed file. Choose a lower quality profile to ensure, that your files do not get to big when creating the PDF files from the printer outputs.

I hope that works. If not, then there is something other wrong in the process, thinks like some incompatibilities or other issues.

bw
    Participant

DID IT. WORKS.

I dragged the original PDF to the Assistant. After about one hour, 'gswin32c.exe' finished running and the file name appeared on the sidebar. Therefrom I saved it (took another hour). The 'AppData/Local/Temp' folder went up to 10GB, rather than 187. Sumatra PDF loads the new file fast. I guess the only problem was my misuse of the PDF Creator. Problem solved. Thanks!

FINAL QUESTIONS

1. Doesn't the new file also contain images? How is Sumatra PDF able to load it faster?
    2. How to use PDF24 to convert image based PDFs into more useful formats?
    3. Might this problems have been because I recently did a clean install of Windows 10? A driver missing, perhaps?

pdf24

If images inside a PDF to large, then it will take time to process them. Some apps are good at that and some not.

What would you say if we bring our own small and fast PDF reader with the PDF24 Creator?

bw
    Participant

I am a minimalist with an addiction to vim keybindings. If this new PDF reader were to have such feature and a minimalist GUI, I would be very willing to consider it as a replacement to Sumatra.

(If it could be like Vimperator it would be awesome, but I know that is too far-fetched.)

However it may be, I wish you luck and a happy new year.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.