Solved--saved file problem.

Home Forums PDF24 Creator General Solved--saved file problem.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    masc91

Hello,

In case anyone has a similar problem, here is mine and the solution I found. Whenever I tried to save an edited file, it was saved completely and permanently corrupted. Only pixels or blank white was visible on the pages.

How I solved it: I thoroughly uninstalled eyery PDF editing program I'd been trying out, including PDF24. Then I reinstalled PDF24. It's the best of all the ones I tried, and does everything I needed an editor for.

Now it works perfectly again! 😀 Danke for a great piece of software!

Kathy

masc91

Hi again,

OK, I think now I really have isolated the problem. When using the PDF editor, the PDF24 printer must be the only one online and available. It's not enough to make PDF24 the default printer; any others must be set as offline. This is extremely important!!!

If another printer is available, the saved file(s) will be completely and irretrievably corrupted and kaput. If PDF24 is the only printer online, there is no problem when saving files.

Hopefully this bug will be fixed in the next version. For now, I for one will just be very careful! Danke schoen for the best editor out there.

pdf24

Hm, i can't reproduce the problem. Everythings works fine on my pc's.
    Is there any other people who has these problems?

masc91

Hi again,

Thanks for replying; sorry it's taken me so long to respond. If this helps, I'm using Windows XP SP3 32-bit, and have a Brother HL-1440 printer installed along with the PDF24 printer. As I said, I set the PDF24 printer as the default and only online printer when I use the PDF24 program.

Today I tried to edit and save a PDF (first time since I last posted), and found I was back to square one. When I'd try to save the edited PDF, the program would hang, the fan would rev up, and the PDF would be nuked. I looked at Process Explorer while that was happening, and found that PDF24 was using zero CPUs, while gswin32c.exe appeared to be frozen and was gobbling up CPUs at a steady rate. So the problem looked to be some sort of Ghostscript issue. I was using PDF version 2.9.0 (the one with the known Ghostscript bug).

I uninstalled other random PDF editing apps and cleaned the registry (yeah, again--some people never learn), uninstalled and reinstalled PDF24, rebooted and tried again. This time the edited PDF saved with no problem, but wouldn't open in Adobe Reader because there was insufficient data for an image. PDF24's default image quality setting is "low;" I changed the default to "standard quality" and now edited PDFs save smoothly with no problem.

Also, just now I saw the new version 2.9.1 info and installed the update; hopefully that's all I needed to do to begin with!

Hope this info helps somebody; sorry for the length of this post.

Happy Valentine's Day to you all,

Kathy

presynaras
    Participant

Hey thanks for the info. It will be useful for people who have similar problems

masc91

You're very welcome! That's why I posted, and it's nice to know it did help someone out.

The lastest version does edit and save with no problem, so it looks like updating was indeed the solution.

feliped
    Participant

Hi again,

Thanks for replying; sorry it's taken me so long to respond. If this helps, I'm using Windows XP SP3 32-bit, and have a Brother HL-1440 printer installed along with the PDF24 printer. As I said, I set the PDF24 printer as the default and only online printer when I use the PDF24 program.

Today I tried to edit and save a PDF (first time since I last posted), and found I was back to square one. When I'd try to save the edited PDF, the program would hang, the fan would rev up, and the PDF would be nuked. I looked at Process Explorer while that was happening, and found that PDF24 was using zero CPUs, while gswin32c.exe appeared to be frozen and was gobbling up CPUs at a steady rate. So the problem looked to be some sort of Ghostscript issue. I was using PDF version 2.9.0 (the one with the known Ghostscript bug).

I uninstalled other random PDF editing apps and cleaned the registry (yeah, again--some people never learn), uninstalled and reinstalled PDF24, rebooted and tried again. This time the edited PDF saved with no problem, but wouldn't open in Adobe Reader because there was insufficient data for an image. PDF24's default image quality setting is "low;" I changed the default to "standard quality" and now edited PDFs save smoothly with no problem.

Also, just now I saw the new version 2.9.1 info and installed the update; hopefully that's all I needed to do to begin with!

Hope this info helps somebody; sorry for the length of this post.

Happy Valentine's Day to you all,

Kathy

Hi, I tried what you said (removed all random PDF editing apps and cleaned the registry, uninstalled and reinstalled PDF24, set the PDF24 printer as the default and only online printer when I use the PDF24 program, rebooted and tried again), but i still can't save my edited file.
    Please someone help me.

masc91

Hi, updating to the new debugged version solved my problem. Sorry--wish I could be more helpful. Good luck!

feliped
    Participant

Hi, updating to the new debugged version solved my problem. Sorry--wish I could be more helpful. Good luck!

This new version solved my problem too.
    Thanks, this is a nice pdf Editor Program, and the best to arrange the pdf pages. 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.